2015 San Francisco Chinatown Music Festival @ Portsmouth Square | Free, Family-Friendly, Chinese Music, Dance, Arts, & Culture
This Saturday, bring the whole family to enjoy Chinese cultural fun for free at the 2015 Chinatown Music Festival at Portsmouth Square! Enjoy live music, dance, & arts all day! More info below.
FREE San Francisco: Subscribe to our email newsletter of San Francisco events, festivals, specials, & GIVEAWAYS!
Related Events and Info:
- Festival: 2015 Excelsior Festival This Sunday | Free, Sunday Streets Block Party, Live Music, Arts & Crafts
- Festival: 2015 San Francisco Street Food Festival | Free-Entry, 100+ Local Businesses, Live Music
- Movies: 2015 Free San Francisco Waterfront Flicks @ Jack London Square | Schedule, June-August
- Movies: SF Indie’s 2015 Outdoor Summer Movies in McCoppin Hub Plaza | Free, Ghostbusters, Better Off Dead, & More
2015 Chinatown Music Festival Info & Schedule:
2015 Chinatown Music Festival
August 15, 11AM-5PM | Free
Portsmouth Square at Kearny & Washington
More info: c-c-c.org
The Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco is proud to announce the return of the Chinatown Music Festival for its sixth consecutive year! This celebration will bring music and cultural exploration to Chinatown’s Portsmouth Square on Saturday, August 15th from 11AM-5PM. Those who attend can expect a fun day full of music, dance, crafts, games, and cultural diversity in one of Chinatown’s most historic neighborhoods.
The festival is free to the public and will feature fun, diverse musical performances including swing, jazz, soul, rock, and guzheng. The event will also feature line, swing, and Mongolian dance. This multi-cultural festival creates a deeper understanding of Chinatown’s role in a multi-cultural society, and enhances Chinatown’s economic and cultural vibrancy – all while furthering CCC’s mission to spark intercultural discovery. The variety of performances and artistic styles reflects this year’s CCC theme of “Keep Exploring”.
2015 Lineup & Schedule
- 11 am: San Francisco Guzheng Music Society was founded in 1982 to promote and share the rich Chinese heritage through traditional, classical, folk, and contemporary music.
- 12 noon: Yea-Ming and the Rumours is a rising bay area pop group rose from the ashes of a previous rock-pop group called Dreamdate, and Yea-Ming Chen has expanded on the pop confection pioneered in Dreamdate, now with emphasis on her interesting voice and melodies.
- 1 pm: The Klipptones perform multiple soundscapes ranging from instrumental jazz to rocking the dance floor.
- 2 pm: The Jon Jang Warriors under the direction of internationally celebrated pianist/composer Jon Jang, performs original works that give voice to the untold stories of the Chinese American experience, and how this experience intersects with the historic disenfranchisement of communities of color, expressed in a compelling mixture of cultural influences and sounds.
- 3 pm: Jest Jammin’ has been entertaining the public for over 40 years and are the last of the “local Chinatown bands” from the 60s and 70s. Don’t miss this amazing performance full of “home grown” talent and music from both the soulful 60’s – 70’s and the recent decades.
More info: c-c-c.org